Imaginary Conversations #1: If We Had Met Years Ago

August 13, 2017

If We Had Met Years Ago

We were laying on our balcony that Sunday afternoon. Drenched in the soft sunlight, the breeze warm and inviting. Bodies wrapped around each other.

"If we had met years ago, would you love me just the same?"
"Would you even love me?"

"Hmm, I think I would."

"I was a very different person from who I am now, you know."

"Yes. I'm aware of that. Me too, in so many ways. I was different too.”
He paused for a moment.
“You know what, Can I say something?"

"Sure."

"I'm thinking here's what would happen if we had met seven years ago."
"We would meet in a coffee shop somewhere, you said you had a thing for going to coffee shops back then? You liked reading there and secretly scouting for hot guys right?"

"You're a prick."

"I know, and I happen to be a hot one, points for you."
"Well, you said you never really met anyone you liked from your coffee shop adventures right? Here is where the fun starts. One day, a handsome guy comes in, sporting this manly man bun, and a clean bomber jacket, jeans and all.”

"Let me guess, it's you?"

He grinned.

"Obviously, who else would it be?"

I rolled my eyes.

“That was your style years ago? A typical douchebag fashion, you know.”
“You’re about to realize that I am the opposite. I have layers, you know. Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

He winked at me.

"Well I would order a coffee from the barista, and unfortunately, the coffee shop had been packed. I had no place to sit."
"Then I would see this girl, just sitting there alone, in the corner of the coffee shop by the window. It’s very obvious that her focus is not on that book anymore, especially with me swooping into the chair across her."

"I would just stare in disbelief, to be honest. If a guy ever did that to me."

He laughed, and continued,

"I would be oblivious at first, because the person I was back then, I didn't really care about dating someone. I was just another guy with his own goals, and girls were not my priority, I found them as a nuisance sometimes. Probably offended lots of people back in the day. People called me a bastard for acting like that, I knew, but I didn't really care." 
"Then I would just study your face. You were clearly in between of bolting out and wanting to stay. How can I blame you? My actions are pretty questionable, to say the least. But you would continue reading your book moments later, although getting a little bothered, afraid, maybe."

I shifted and looked at him.

"I wouldn't be afraid. I would just be, unsure. Because at that time, I was really content with being alone, but I guess the prospect of having someone to spend time together with.."

"Intrigues you? You know what; I would have felt the same."

“And that's where we connect, I assume?"

"Yes, and because we're both unnaturally good looking for two strangers sitting together on a busy Wednesday evening."

It took almost every cell in my body not to roll my eyes at his remarks.

"Well, after studying your face.. there's just something about you. Something, different. I can't quite put it, but you are clearly different from all the other girls I had met." 
“The way you sit, the way you drink your coffee, which surprisingly, is the same as mine, and how calm you are, being alone in that busy evening. It's like you have your own bubble. Your own world, a paradox, and I just want to be in it, with you."

"We would start talking. I would initiate the conversation first, but I would be taken aback on how brave you would be. It’s like one moment you would take the wheel, and then for a moment, you would be shy, holding back. It’s crazy how for a moment you can display so many sides of you."

"I guess that's something I would do. Especially 7 years ago. I would be brave as heck, and then contemplate about it the next."

"You were like that when we first met you know; and to this day, it's one of the reasons why I love you. You’re just so- complex."

"First the conversations would be mundane, an innocent conversation. About the day, about the coffee shop, about our drinks. Then as we talked, as if a switch was turned on, we would start talking about more serious things. Things so deep. Things you wouldn't share with a stranger."
"And when our drinks are almost finished, with the sun starting to set, we would finally realize how long we had talked. The coffee shop now has fewer people than before. For a moment we would stop talking, and then I smile. You would smile back."

"Let me guess, you would offer me to spend the rest of the day with you somewhere after that?"

"I probably would, but knowing you, you would probably turn it down. Although deep down you really want it. We would just exchange numbers. Very innocent."

"Hmm, you know me well. But my texts would not be that innocent after, as you know so well."

 "Well, you do have your own ways when it comes to texting."

He grinned.
I wanted to slap him.

“We would be texting each other, and realize that talking face to face would be much better. Our next meeting would not be too long after that."

“And we would hit it right off the bat, wouldn't we?"

"Right off the bat."

We looked into each other eyes.
A moment of comfortable silence.
Then I said,

"I guess, it would be nice if I had met you 7 years ago. But, I am just really grateful for now. That we can be in each other's arms. When we have accomplished some of the things we were dreaming of 7 years ago."
“Because who knows, maybe we would split up along the way, we would go on different paths, we might not be friends now even, just too focused on each other's careers. Be young and just- dumb."

“Hmm couldn't have said it better. But I think there’s nothing wrong about being young and dumb. We all had our times, I wouldn’t have met you now if I wasn’t brave enough to leave everything behind to travel and buy a one-way ticket to Paris three years ago."

I nodded.

 "Besides, it would be hard to forget someone as amazing as you, even for a lifetime."

A smile crept on my face.

“Not dumb at all, then?”
“Not dumb at all. Never regretted it for one moment.”

I inched closer to him.

"I'm just happy that we met each other at a point where we are more confident about ourselves, more settled. Established a career of our own. When we can focus on just loving each other. Making each other happy, content, and fulfilled. I wouldn't change it if I had the chance."

He hugged me and I closed my eyes,
Taking in the sounds, the breeze, his warmth. Everything I am grateful for.

"But there is one thing, though, that I would want to change If I ever had the chance."

"Oh?" He looked at me, surprised.

I opened my eyes and looked at him, my hands reaching out to his hair.

"I would die to see you in that man bun.When was the last time you grew out your hair? We need to get that fixed.”


We continued to laugh and talk for hours as we laid there until the sun sets, the sky turning into shades of orange and lilac. The evening came without us noticing, just like the alternate versions of ourselves, in a coffee shop somewhere, so distant in the past, savoring each other's presence.




*pictures are not mine, credits to the respectful owners
*set in the future, seven years ago = the present.


You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Popular Posts